Inn to Inn Walk
The Ship at Dunwich to The Westleton Crown
1. Leaving The Ship turn left and walk down the road towards St James’ Church. Passing the Church, head straight across the junction and onto the bridle path opposite. Follow the path as it passes the old graveyard and remnants of the old chapel on your left. Follow this path, passing Sandy Lane Farm on your right after about 1.5 miles.
2. Past the farm, you head into a wooded section leading to Westleton Heath, a large area of protected heathland that has beautiful displays of gorse and heather in the late summer and is good area for red deer spotting.
3. As you see the heath emerging on your right, you will see a wide bridleway on the right with a metal barrier across it, continue on the path that you are on - do not go through the barrier. On your left is the Archery Course. Just after you have passed the barrier take the path on the left that skirts the edge of the Archery course.
4. Climb the slight hill and turn right as the path reaches a hedge that borders the road. After 100 yards you will see a gate on the left in the hedge. Take the gate and cross the road going through the ‘kissing’ gate on the other side. Follow the path along the edge of the field keeping the fence on your right. In the corner of the field you will come to another ‘kissing’ gate. Go through the gate and follow the path as it crosses Westleton Heath. The path leads you past an old chalk quarry on your right and here take the left fork just past a group of trees. This is another good spot to see red deer, particularly in the October rutting season.
5. Follow this path until you come to a road after a ‘kissing’ gate, turn left along the road and after 100 yds turn right onto a footpath that is the driveway towards King’s Farm & Nash Barn. Pass the Barn on your right and follow the avenue of trees onto another part of Westleton Common. Aim to keep the cottage ahead on your left as you pass it leading to a road.
6. Turn right down the road and this will bring you into the village, turn left at the end of the road and you will see the Westleton Crown ahead.
The Westleton Crown to The Ship at Dunwich
1. With your back to The Westleton Crown, turn left and follow the pavement before turning left into Mill Street. After a few hundred yard,s you will see a pair of change of speed signs; take the path to the right immediately after the signs. Follow the rutted path for a short distance until you come to the Westleton Common notice board. Take a look at the map of the common, you will be crossing the common heading for Black Slough.
2. Follow the path to the left of the notice board, bearing left as it splits. Head across the concrete square towards the first electricity wire pole. Pick up the path here and follow it straight ahead. Keep the same direction (south) as the path crosses the Common, ignoring left and right turns, until you see the path rising as it bears right at the end of the Common.
3. Go up the small hill and descend steps to the bridleway below - ‘Black Slough’. Turn left and follow the path until you reach a road. On your right you will see a ‘Welcome to Minsmere' sign; take the path to the right of this as it rises up through the gorse.
4. Stay on this path as it skirts a field, keeping the fence & gorse on your right. Go through a ‘kissing’ gate and follow the path as it descends into a wood, you will see signs of deer runs here so keep an eye out for red deer, particularly if it’s dawn or dusk.
5. Going through another ‘kissing’ gate you will come to a rutted bridleway, turn right and follow it, keeping an eye to the right again, looking for deer and Hangmans New Wood on the left. When you arrive at a house with lions on the gate posts, turn left and follow the single track road as it enters Minsmere. Take a look at the trees here as they have re-rooted having blown down.
6. As the road bears right, you will see a footpath going straight ahead up Saunders Hill. Take this path. As you get to the top of the hill, you will see Minsmere lakes and the white dome of Sizewell to your right. Go straight ahead as you cross a road. Follow the path straight ahead through two gates until you come to a road. Go straight across the road and follow the path into the wood. Passing houses on your right when you reach a road turn right.
7. Follow the path on the edge of the road until the road bears left - follow the private road straight ahead keeping the cottages on your right. This will lead you to Dunwich woods; you are now following the Suffolk Coastal Path signs through the wood and down into Dunwich, you will see on your left the ruins of Greyfriars monastery along the cliff top. On arriving at a road you will see The Ship just ahead of you.
Download a copy of Inn to Inn map